Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- RT @KnowYourCityTV: We are happy to announce the first group of Winners of the #ChangeOurPicture competition! Best Technical Manipulation:…
- Today and everyday we remember our fearless leader Jockin Arputhan, who worked tirelessly until his death to suppor… https://t.co/5ksJbLPsrl
- RT @justempower: Got a minute? Check out the amazing work of @NaijaFederation Media Team --> Reclaiming the narrative of #PortHarcourt wate…
- RT @BethChit: For @sdinet it has always been exclusion that has created the necessary dialogue with cities to create carbon neutral citie…
- RT @NaijaFederation: ILASHE community boundary mapping and house numbering. https://t.co/LUT1HFaqKi
- RT @NCEcities: Tomorrow: At the @c40cities World Mayors Summit, we'll hear perspectives from national & city governments leading the way (t…
- RT @ShipraSuri: @sdinet #SheelaPatel - The poor are not beneficiaries to be protected, #climatechange is an opportunity to leapfrog dirty…
- RT @ARakhorst: Laatste dag van de @sdinet week. Trots op iedereen die erbij betrokken was! Lees meer over SDI en oprichter Jockin in dit ar…
- RT @wvanmossevelde: Yesterday's @sdinet & KYC TV movie screening @De_Zwijger - showcasing the work of community leaders who change the worl…
- “Over half of the people living in cities worldwide are poor and informal. And we see a huge opportunity to leapfro… https://t.co/fkOnTQZfJX
- Conclusion from the two documentaries was we need to stand up and fight forced evictions. #TheAmsterdamSessions… https://t.co/DGevBevFMz
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Oct. 3, 2017, 1:07 p.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >