Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- RT @justempower: Ongoing @NaijaFederation enumeration of #MosafejoOworonshoki — because INFORMATION is POWER and DATA is OUR CURRENCY for U…
- SDI Slum Masterchef result. African champion by the narrowest of margins: FEDUP South Africa’s Mampho Mofokeng https://t.co/Jd2xRFhw03
- SDI Clean cooking finale kicks of in Nakuru Kenya https://t.co/L1edeu67cf
- "The first question for me is: Are you going to keep segmenting development into different things? Sanitation and t… https://t.co/tqGu6YvXZV
- Sheela Patel, chair of the SDI Board, speaks on city transformation at #COP24 on Monday 10 December. Tune in! https://t.co/VN8PRu0UOT
- This case study - told by Ma. Theresa Carampatana, President of the Philippines Federation - forms part of a collab… https://t.co/1aCH3UmYv8
- RT @SASDIAlliance: NEW PUBLICATION: A peoples approach to informal settlement #upgrading. How urban poor communities grapple w #land & #red…
- SDI's last Slum #MasterChef competition was held in #Kampala, w @ACTogetherUG, Michelin Star chef @theacecook, &… https://t.co/APJF50QcLs
- RT @JhonoBennett: Joseph Muturi of @sdinet sharing the role of grassroots movements in enumeration and ground up development in Nairobi @Ur…
- RT @Philipp__Horn: Very interesting days in Nairobi with @Wanavijiji, learning about problems and possible solutions for housing, infrastru…
- RT @justempower: Community-built and managed #biofil toilets in Lagos — now some of the most beautiful/colorful buildings in Lagos slum com…
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Oct. 3, 2017, 1:07 p.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >