Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- RT @GLTNnews: @GLTNnews partners support social tenure relations through community driven practices in #ChiefChamuka #Zambia #STDM @sdinet…
- Another successful event this morning at the #KnowYourCity resource center, launching the @CityofCT Preliminary Res… https://t.co/uLWFfkvTWW
- RT @tampeiPH: “#PoorPeople are not the eyesore of the city. If u organize them & use this tool, it can address issues of #poverty & #LandIn…
- RT @urbanjodi: It speaks volumes to launch today’s report at @SASDIAlliance. We now hear from CORC on the #knowyourcity campaign - a new so…
- RT @makingofcities: Craig Kesson, chief resilience officer: through @100ResCities, the city has entered into a partnership with @SASDIAllia…
- RT @PatriciaDeLille: A resilient city understands its known risks, anticipates potential future risks and develops strategies for an uncert…
- SDI is excited to host this important event this morning at our #KnowYourCity Resource Centre in Woodstock with… https://t.co/e8FEuoAy37
- RT @gltnstdm: @GLTNnews @GLTN @stdm Join us today, 21st of September !! In Chamuka for the issuance of over 490 certificates of land occu…
- Over the next 2 days, SDI's Sheela Patel will speak on the critical role of bottom-up processes of the urban poor,… https://t.co/q2vPiupJNN
- RT @NayokaMartinez: Local funds managed by grassroots organisations in urban informal settlements can be the means to meet basic needs and…
- This morning, #CapeTown orgs gather at SDI #KnowYourCity Resource Centre to discuss the role of social housing in a… https://t.co/15N1aJjLZu
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Oct. 3, 2017, 1:07 p.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >