Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- Vote for "The Slum Dwellers" for Humanitarian Film Festival Audience Award today! @Conscious_Good @SkollFoundation #humanitarianday
- What happens when outsiders try to survey slums? Not much. https://t.co/C6hZw3bj8B @TR_Foundation @thisisplace #KnowYourCity #Mumbai
- RT @LutwamaMedie: #knowyourcity promotes tenure in Kampala @KCCAUG using STDM @gltnstdm @sdinet @CitiesAlliance @uclg_org @Habitat3UN https…
- RT @silverowere: #knowyourcity ensure tenure security in Kla @KCCAUG thru @gltnstdm thanks to @ACTogetherUG @sdinet @Habitat3UN https://t.…
- RT @BethChit: In the midst of the Zim's latest crisis homes being destroyed in Chirundu @sdinet @takudzwajera @ZLHRLawyers https://t.co/LtT…
- RT @LutwamaMedie: #knowyourcity puts Bwaise 2 slum @KCCAUG on Kampala map @sdinet @ACTogetherUG @uclg_org @gltnstdm @CitiesAlliance https:/…
- RT @IIED: 3 key messages to those designing or working in global funds, by Sheela Patel --> https://t.co/r7mwli0aYs @sdinet https://t.co/cJ…
- RT @celtindia: you can bring about change in and around the country @sdinet Padma Shri Sheela Patel @celtindia on Social Change https://t.…
- RT @LutwamaMedie: Jockin @sdinet @70 May GOD reward you more years for fighting for voiceless poor. @CitiesAlliance @uclg_org @IIED https:/…
- RT @SkollFoundation: Voting is open! @sdinet is a finalist at the #HumanitarianFilmFestival. Watch & #vote here: https://t.co/leI4YZB0JE
- Transformation Begins: Citywide Profiling in Liberia - https://t.co/xnU4bwiW5N
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Dec. 14, 2015, 11:58 a.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >