Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- Kenya SDI Alliance @Wanavijiji seek bottom-up solutions to tenure security, water & sanitation, drainage & more. https://t.co/gncC7cjQ1Z
- "We need a United Nations that belongs to the people on the ground." https://t.co/4Yatd9LlPD
- RT @urbancampaign: Read the recommendations to the new @UN #UNSG @antonioguterres from #UrbanThinkers @UNHABITAT #WUC Chair Rose Molokoane…
- RT @justempower: Lagos Slum Was Razed for Its Waterfront, Residents Say, via @nytimes cc @sdinet @adequatehousing @ayosogunro https://t.co…
- RT @Shuunyuni_World: Bottom-Up Planning - Freedom Square, Gobabis https://t.co/2hxKaHdETF via @YouTube @sdinet @DianaMitlin @ShelterDialogue
- 20 Years of the #Kenya Federation of #Slum Dwellers https://t.co/hiUYaI015m Muungano Nguvu Yetu! Unity is Strength!… https://t.co/ITV7vedTC1
- Beautiful work. Muungano Nguvu Yetu: 20 Years of the #Kenya Federation of #Slum Dwellers https://t.co/quey4KdMDe @Wanavijiji @IIED
- RT @urbancampaign: #WUC Chair Rose Molokoane from @sdinet explains #TheCityWeNeed through #UrbanThinkers Voices https://t.co/6NLISH9X4V htt…
- A very important document about an SDI affiliate and about the struggles of the urban poor https://t.co/gRkKlNSAlF
- Launch of the #Lusaka Water Initiative in #Zambia https://t.co/67gmTqbr1x #watersecurity #grassrootsleaders
- RT @DianaMitlin: Great radio clip on challenges faced by low-income families living informally in Lagos; 10% of inc. on water @justempower…
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Dec. 14, 2015, 11:58 a.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >