Welcome to the UPFI Website
Urban Poor Fund International
The Urban Poor Fund International is a subsidiary of Shack / Slum Dwellers International that provides capital to member national urban poor funds. The Fund is established on the proposition that the poor are central actors in urban development and poverty eradication and are best able to decide and co-manage their own urban improvement programs. Giving the poor direct control of capital enables them to negotiate with formal bodies such as government and banks.
Key Focus AreasView Our Focus Areas >>
- Toxic smoke from cooking w solid fuel kills millions annually. To raise awareness, SDI's @joelbolnick has hit the r… https://t.co/Rud1CIe3gu
- RT @DianaMitlin: Sheela Patel sharing experiences of anti-eviction struggles in India with CORC staff @sdinet @SPARCIndia2 @SASDIAllia…
- SDI co-founder @joelbolnick shares his reflections on the notable achievements of the #Bulawayo chapter of the… https://t.co/DWbxrQGWC8
- #KnowYourCity campaign expands to #Lima, #Peru! https://t.co/wckyiCE1sq
- RT @NaijaFederation: Time for group photo after two days of training #NextGeneration #CmmunityProfilers how can we be on the #Map for #deve…
- The #SierraLeone federation partnered w @UCL_BSP & @SLURC_FT on action-based risk & vulnerability research grounded… https://t.co/ruhNUxWIl7
- Next stop on SDI #Road2Resilience is #Freetown, #SierraLeone where coastal slums are plagued by seasonal flooding &… https://t.co/TQ1BOEkdAB
- "Information is Power!" #SierraLeone federation conducts citywide slum profiling in 62 settlements across #FreeTown… https://t.co/6dpwFrf7Nl
- . @joelbolnick visited Umfelandawonye in Victoria Falls - a village built & serviced through by #Zimbabwe Homeless… https://t.co/TUh0YSjEsy
- RT @ItadLtd: Itad has collaborated with @sdinet and @100ResCities to encourage community-led development across informal communities in #Ca…
- From @Wanavijiji: "At the end it was about the protest, the representatives & the petition. All 3 could only be del… https://t.co/LyTkN6Clyt
Featured ProjectsView All Our Projects >>
Jan. 11, 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Construction of a community hall with water tanks and running water, in George Compound, Lusaka.Read more >
Oct. 13, 2015, 10:52 a.m.
Incremental housing construction in settlements across Namibia.Read more >
June 7, 2016, 11:23 a.m.
Upgrading of water and sanitation facilities in settlements in Dar es Salaam.Read more >
Oct. 3, 2017, 1:07 p.m.
Construction of ecosan toilets in houses in Lilongwe.Read more >